New Zealand is a fantastic place to live and study. It is well-known for its international universities and prosperous way of life. The New Zealand government provides numerous opportunities for students who wish to further their education.
The NZ Student Visa has a four-year maximum validity period. A Pathway Student Visa allows you to study for three consecutive courses for up to five years. Continue reading to learn about the New Zealand Study Visa Process, including requirements and costs.
New Zealand Study Visa Application Process: 5 Steps
It is not difficult to apply for a New Zealand study visa.
The process is summarized in 5 steps in the following paragraphs.
Step 1: Apply to colleges/universities.
To learn more about the courses offered at these shortlisted colleges/universities, go to their official websites. Following that, decide on a course of study.
Then you can apply for admission to that college/university online. You can also apply offline using a paper application.
You will be required to submit a few documents when applying for a study visa in New Zealand. Complete the application process by submitting the required documents. Then you have to wait for the offer letter.
Step 2: Obtaining medical and police clearance certificates (PCC)
As soon as you receive an offer letter from an educational institute, you must undergo a thorough medical examination in order to obtain a medical certificate. The medical exam must be performed by a doctor who has been approved by the New Zealand Immigration Department.
Concurrently, you must apply for a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from your local Deputy Commissioner of Police or Regional Passport Office.
Step 3: Submit your visa application.
You must now submit your visa application along with the necessary documents. The immigration website of New Zealand has a list of documents required for various study visa categories.
Step 4: Pay your tuition fees
After submitting your visa application, you will be given “Approval in Principle (AIP).” This authorization is obtained from the Immigration New Zealand website. Tuition fees for the first year must be paid to the respective college/university.
Step 5: Await the final result.
After submitting the visa application form and paying the fees, you must wait for the final decision. The outcome of your New Zealand study visa application will be communicated to you via email.
If your application is approved, an immigration NZ officer will issue you a visa as soon as possible.
Note: It should be noted that the New Zealand Study Visa is not a temporary or permanent residency visa.
What are the various kinds of New Zealand Student Visas?
The following are the various types of student visas available in New Zealand:
- Fee-Paying Student Visa: This visa is valid for up to four years of full-time study. Part-time employment is also permitted for visa holders.
- Exchange Student Visa: This visa allows you to enroll in a full-time course in New Zealand for up to four years through an approved student exchange programme.
- Pathway Student Visa: A Pathway Student Visa allows you to enroll in three consecutive study courses for up to five years. Individual study courses do not necessitate the application of separate visas. With a Pathway Student Visa, you can work part-time.
- Foreign Government Supported Student Visa: You can study full-time in New Zealand for up to four years on a foreign government scholarship or loan.
New Student Visa Pathway
If you intend to study more than one course in New Zealand at the same time, the New Pathway Student Visa Pilot Program is for you.
This programme allows you to enroll in three consecutive courses on a single student visa for up to three years in a row.
The following are the advantages of applying through the New Pathway Student Visa Pilot scheme:
- Apply only once: If you are granted a study visa under this scheme, you may take up to three courses over a maximum of five years.
- Uninterrupted study experience: The new Pathway Student Visa makes transitioning between courses easier and more seamless. This means you can devote more time to your studies rather than visiting the immigration office.
- Better education provider support: As part of this pilot student visa programme, you can expect better education provider support until you complete the courses. To take care of your education in New Zealand, your education providers must have a formal agreement.
- Work permission while studying: One of the appealing features of the New Pathway Student Visa Pilot programme is the ability to work while studying in New Zealand.
Depending on the nature of your course, you may work up to 20 hours per week during the semesters. During your vacations, you can work full-time.
Documents Required for a New Zealand Study Visa Application
Here is a list of the documents you must submit when applying for a New Zealand Study Visa:
- Offer Letter from a recognized educational institute or educational provider
- Proof that you have enough money to cover your tuition and living expenses while in New Zealand.
- a copy of your current passport
- Passport-sized photos taken recently
- If you are under the age of 18, you are guaranteed accommodation.
- Proof of payment of the application fee for a student visa
- Certificates of Medical Fitness and Police Clearance
- A copy of your return flight ticket or proof that you have enough money to buy one
Price of New Zealand Student Visa for Indian Students
The overall cost of the New Zealand Study Visa for Indian students is the sum of the Immigration Cost and Receiving Centre Fee. Calculate the cost of a New Zealand Study Visa from India using the information provided in the table below.
|Type of Visa Application||Immigration Cost/Application Cost||Receiving Centre Fee/Passport Fee|
|Online Visa Application||NZD 530 (approx. INR 27,851)||INR 722|
|Visa Application on paper||INR 24,500||INR 1,087|
Student Visa Processing Time for New Zealand
The length of time it takes to process a New Zealand Student Visa is heavily dependent on the nature of your study course and the educational institute you are applying to.
The table below provides an estimate of the time it takes to process a student visa in New Zealand.
|Type of Education Provider||50% Application Completed Within||75% Application Completed Within||90% Application Completed Within|
|Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics (ITPs)||29 days||52 days||4 months|
|Private Training Establishments (PTEs)||24 days||45 days||70 days|
|Schools||10 days||17 days||28 days|
|Universities||15 days||28 days||50 days
Other Important Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
What should you do if you are visiting New Zealand without a visa?
If you plan to visit New Zealand without a visa, you must first apply for a NZeTA (Electronic Travel Authorization).
You can also study without a student visa in New Zealand.
A student visa is not required if you plan to study for less than three months. You will need to obtain a visitor visa. You can study in New Zealand for up to three months with a visitor visa.
How can I benefit from the Funds Transfer Scheme (FTS)?
When it comes to your finances, you can take advantage of the ANZ Bank’s Funds Transfer Scheme (FTS). This scheme is especially advantageous for international students who do not have funds older than six months.
Under this scheme, you must transfer a year’s worth of living expenses to an ANZ Bank account in New Zealand, as well as a year’s worth of tuition fees to the same account.
The funds will be frozen for a year by officials. It will then be delivered to you on a predetermined schedule. The locking period may vary depending on the New Zealand Immigration Department’s instructions.
When applying for a New Zealand Student Visa, keep the following points in mind:
- A New Zealand Student Visa is valid for four years.
- Students can also apply for a student visa through the New Pathway Student Visa Scheme.
- You may apply for more than one course at the same time.
- If you are a correspondence or distance learning student, you can also apply for a NZ study visa.
- If you intend to bring family members or children to New Zealand, they must apply for separate visas based on their relationship with you.
- The visa cost and processing time vary depending on the university.
- You can work up to 20 hours per week during the semester if you have a part-time job while studying in New Zealand. During scheduled vacations, you can work full-time.
If you have any further questions about how to obtain a New Zealand Study Visa, please contact our experts.