- The Canadian government intends to unveil a new scheme that will allow temporary residents to become permanent residents.
- The IRCC has accepted 84,177 TR-to-PR immigration applications.
According to the Immigration Level Plan for 2022-2024, Canada will welcome 40,000 new PRs under Federal economic public policies and 30,000 – 48,000 new PRs via the TR-to-PR pathway.
Statement by Sean Fraser, Canada’s Immigration Minister
“We are currently planning to develop the greatest permanent pathway for temporary residents that can be gained fast,” Fraser says.
Canada said in 2021 that it would accept 90,000 applications from temporary residents under categories such as one-time, temporary-to-permanent (TR-to-PR). Canada received 84,177 applications through the TR-to-PR program.
The TR-to-PR pathway has targeted Canadian healthcare and other workers, as well as recent international graduates from Canadian institutions and universities. With the exception of the francophone province of Quebec, the whole country followed this immigration scheme.
According to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) data, Canada welcomed 23,885 new PRs using this TR-to-PR procedure. In the first four months of this year, 22,190 applications earned their PR under this procedure.
*Check your eligibility to Canada through Prominent Overseas Careers
Planned Immigration Levels for 2022-2024
Considering the current flow of new PR admissions to the country, Canada received 66,570 new PRs via the TR-to-PR pathway, with Ottawa topping the list.
By 2023, Canada’s immigration level plan anticipates welcoming an additional 32,000 new PRs via the same TR-to-PR process.
The Immigration Department has devised a whole new path for temporary residents.
Unemployment figures for Canada
Canada is now experiencing a severe labor shortage.
Canada has a record low unemployment rate of 5.1 percent, and the proportion of unemployed persons to available jobs has reached a record low of 1.2 million.
Employers in Canada struggled to fill a record-high million jobs in March, totaling 1,012,900.
Given the labor scarcity, firms may benefit from retaining international students and temporary staff.
Are you looking for a job in Canada? For assistance, consult a renowned Overseas Careers for Canada immigration career adviser.
For foreign nationals wishing to work in Canada, there are three types of temporary work visas available.
Foreign nationals with open work permits can work for Canadian businesses anywhere in the country. Such facilities are provided by an open work permit without even requiring the business to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
Employer-specific work permits: Employer-specific work permits allow foreign nationals to work through the LMIA process only if no Canadians are available.
Permit to Work After Graduation: This work permit is intended for international students who have completed their studies at a Canadian college or university and wish to live and work in Canada. The Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) award is proportional to the length of the permit and is depending on the length of the study program.
Other work permits available to overseas students
• Canada administers the International Experience Canada (IEC) program and gives work permits to foreign nationals who wish to visit the country.
• Working holiday visa: Many foreign nationals travel to Canada without a job offer and work for a variety of employers.
• Young professionals eager to relocate to Canada for a position that will advance their professional growth with the same firms in their native country.
• For an international co-op internship, allow students to graduate from a study program at a Canadian college or university that requires them to complete a work term in Canada.
• International students who enroll in a program at a Canadian college or university for at least six months will be granted a Study Permit.
New International Student Pathway
- A new routine or path to permanent residency for overseas students may change the laws around study permits.
- International students are currently expected to leave Canada once their study and work licenses expire. These students must also show documentation of sufficient means to support themselves in Canada.
- Before obtaining a study permit, international students must acquire approval from the province, even if they are in Quebec. This license can be gained by submitting an application for the Quebec Certificate of Selection (CSQ)
- That permission is received only if the student selects the study program by asking for a Quebec Certificate of Selection (CSQ).
- Approximately one-third of overseas students who want to study in Canada apply for permanent residence after graduation. This basically means that these students will first obtain a study visa to complete their education before applying for PGWP if they seek a job after graduation. This will allow them to get job experience in Canada and eventually raise their Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score in order to apply for permanent residency through Express Entry.
Do you have a dream to migrate Talk to the Immigrations experts at Prominent Overseas Careers?
CHECK YOUR ELIGIBILITY FOR CANADA