New Zealand is a fantastic destination to live and study. It is well-known for its international universities and rich way of life. The New Zealand government provides several possibilities for students who wish to further their education.
The NZ Student Visa has a four-year maximum validity period. A Pathway Student Visa permits you to study for three consecutive courses for up to five years. Continue reading to learn about the New Zealand Study Visa Process, including criteria and expenses.
New Zealand Study Visa Application Process: 5 Steps
It is not difficult to apply for a New Zealand student visa.
The procedure is summarised in five phases in the following paragraphs.
Step 1: Apply to colleges/universities.
To learn more about the courses offered at these nominated colleges/universities, go to their respective websites. Following that, decide on a course of study.
Then you may apply for admission to that college/university online. You may also apply offline using a paper application.
You will be required to submit a few papers while applying for a student visa in New Zealand. Complete the application procedure by submitting the required papers. Then you have to wait for the offer letter.
Image Source (Google)
Step 2: Obtaining medical and police clearance certificates (PCC)
As soon as you receive an offer letter from an educational school, you must have a complete medical examination in order to obtain a medical certificate. The medical exam must be performed by a doctor who has been approved by the New Zealand Immigration Department.
Concurrently, you must apply for a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from your local Deputy Commissioner of Police or Regional Passport Office.
Step 3: Submit your visa application.
You must now submit your visa application together with the necessary documentation. The immigration website of New Zealand has a list of papers required for various study visa types.
Step 4: Pay your tuition expenses
After submitting your visa application, you will be given “Approval in Principle (AIP).” This authorization is obtained via the Immigration New Zealand website. Tuition costs for the first year must be paid to the individual college/university.
Step 5: Await the ultimate result.
After submitting the visa application form and paying the costs, you must wait for the final decision. The conclusion of your New Zealand student visa application will be communicated to you by email.
If your application is approved, an immigration NZ officer will issue you a visa as quickly as possible.
It should be noted that the New Zealand Study Visa is neither a temporary or permanent residency visa.
What are the many kinds of New Zealand Student Visas?
The following are the several types of student visas available in New Zealand:
- Fee-Paying Student Visa: This visa is valid for up to four years of full-time study. Part-time employment is also permitted for visa holders.
- Exchange Student Visa: This visa permits you to enrol in a full-time study in New Zealand for up to four years through an approved student exchange programme.
- Pathway Student Visa: A Pathway Student Visa allows you to enrol in three consecutive study courses for up to five years. Individual study courses do not necessitate the application of different visas. With a Pathway Student Visa, you can work part-time.
- Foreign Government Supported Student Visa: You can study full-time in New Zealand for up to four years on a foreign government scholarship or loan.
New Student Visa Pathway
If you intend to study more than one course in New Zealand at the same time, the New Pathway Student Visa Pilot Program is for you.
This programme permits you to enrol in three consecutive courses on a single student visa for up to three years in a row.
Image Source (Google)
The following are the advantages of applying under the New Pathway Student Visa Pilot scheme:
- Apply just once: If you are granted a study visa under this system, you may pursue up to three courses over a maximum of five years.
- Uninterrupted study experience: The new Pathway Student Visa makes transitioning between courses easier and more seamless. This means you may devote more time to your education rather than visiting the immigration office.
- Enhanced education provider support: As part of this pilot student visa programme, you may expect better education provider assistance until you complete the courses. To take care of your education in New Zealand, your education providers must have a legal agreement.
- Work permission while studying: One of the appealing features of the New Pathway Student Visa Pilot programme is the ability to work while studying in New Zealand.
Depending on the nature of your course, you may work up to 20 hours per week over the semesters. During your holidays, you can work full-time.
Documents Required for a New Zealand Study Visa Application
Here is the list of necessary documents that you have to submit while applying for a New Zealand Study Visa:
- Offer Letter from an approved educational institute or education provider
- Proof that you have enough money to bear the tuition fees and living costs/expenses during your stay in New Zealand.
- Copy of your valid passport
- Recent passport-sized photographs
- Accommodation guarantee if you age below 18 years
- Proof of payment of the student visa application fee
- Medical Certificate and Police Clearance Certificate
- A copy of your return flight ticket to home or proof that you have sufficient funds to buy one
Cost of New Zealand Student Visa from India
For Indian Students, the NZ Study Visa fee’s total cost is the sum of the Immigration Cost and Receiving Centre Fee. From the below chart, calculate the cost of an NZ Study Visa from India.
|Type of Visa Application||Immigration Cost/Application Cost||Receiving Centre Fee/Passport Fee|
|Online Visa Application||NZD 530 (approx. INR 27,851)||INR 722|
|Visa Application on paper||INR 24,500||INR 1,087|
Image Source (Google)
Processing Time for New Zealand Student Visas
New Zealand Student Visa processing times largely depend on your study course’s nature and the educational institute you are applying for.
The following table gives a fair idea of NZ student visa processing time.
|Type of Education Provider||50% Application Completed Within||75% Application Completed Within||90% Application Completed Within|
|Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics (ITPs)||29 days||52 days||4 months|
|Private Training Establishments (PTEs)||24 days||45 days||70 days|
|Schools||10 days||17 days||28 days|
|Universities||15 days||28 days||50 days|
Other Important Frequently Asked Questions
What should you do if you are visiting New Zealand without a visa?
If you plan to visit New Zealand without a visa, you must first apply for a NZeTA (Electronic Travel Authorization).
You can also study without a student visa in New Zealand.
A student visa is not required if you want to study for less than three months. You will need to get a visiting visa. You can study in New Zealand for up to three months on a visiting visa.
How may I benefit from the Funds Transfer Scheme (FTS)?
When it comes to your finances, you may take advantage of the ANZ Bank’s Funds Transfer Scheme (FTS). This strategy is especially advantageous for overseas students who do not have cash older than six months.
Under this system, you must transfer a year’s worth of living expenses to an ANZ Bank account in New Zealand, as well as a year’s worth of tuition fees to the same account.
The cash will be frozen for a year by officials. It will then be sent to you on a predetermined schedule. The lockout time may vary based on the New Zealand Immigration Department’s directions.
When applying for a New Zealand Student Visa, keep the following considerations in mind:
- A New Zealand Student Visa is valid for four years.
- Students can also apply for a student visa under the New Pathway Student Visa Scheme.
- You may apply for more than one course at the same time.
- If you are a correspondence or distance learning student, you can also apply for a NZ study visa.
- If you intend to bring family members or children to New Zealand, they must apply for separate visas depending on their connection with you.
- The visa fee and processing time vary depending on the university.
- You can work up to 20 hours per week throughout the semester if you have a part-time job while studying in New Zealand. During scheduled vacations, you can work full-time.
If you have any additional concerns about how to obtain a New Zealand Study Visa, please contact our specialists.