Every year, thousands of Indian students come to the United States to study at some of the greatest universities in the country. While the country remains the top choice for study abroad,
This blog discusses the expense of education for Indian students, course fees, top universities in the United States, and so on. Continue reading.
How much does it cost an Indian student to study in the United States?
There are several charges associated with an Indian studying abroad in the United States as an international student. In general, the expenses will be –
The overall expense of studying in the United States for Indian students
|Expenses For||Courses & Applications||Cost|
|1. Language and entrance examinations||GRE: Graduate Record Examinations||INR 16,000 approx.|
|TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language||INR 14,450 approx.|
|IELTS: International English Language Testing System||INR 14,700|
|GMAT: Graduate Management Admission Test||INR 20,000 approx.|
|SAT||INR 9,000 approx.
[Registration fee USD 55 + Regional fee USD 49]
|2. University application fee||–||INR 2,600 to INR 6,000 approx.|
|3. US Student Visa||Visa application fee||INR 12,200 approx.
[USD 160 for Form DS 160]
|Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee||INR 26,600 approx.
|4. Tuition fees||B Tech||INR 25 lakhs (in a year)*|
|MBA||INR 27 lakhs (in a year)*|
|BBA||INR 20 lakhs (in a year)*|
|Master of Science (MS)||INR 22 lakhs (in a year)*|
|Medicine||INR 40 lakhs (in a year)*|
|Law||From INR 16 lakhs in a year|
|5. Living expenses||–||USD 7,60,500 (in a year)|
* an Average
What will the tuition at US institutions be in 2022?
Tuition fees at government-funded colleges are often substantially cheaper than those at private institutions.
Tuition Fees in the United States in 2022, by Course
|Course||Type of University||Highest Annual Tuition Fee||Average Annual Tuition Fee||Lowest Annual Tuition Fee|
|4-years or above
|Public||INR 17,96,909||INR 6,40,000||INR 36,504|
|Private, not-for-profit||INR 46,98,977||INR 21,74,801||INR 1,71,112|
|Private, for profit||INR 31,86,495||INR 12,71,784||INR 2,98,116|
|Public||INR 9,13,056||INR 2,85,948||INR 70,878|
|Private, not-for-profit||INR 40,91,794||INR 11,55,579||INR 2,56,288|
|Private, for profit||INR 25,52,314||INR 11,36,795||INR 5,06,493|
|Less than 2 years||Public||INR 14,26,317||INR 6,78,366||INR 1,76,892|
|Private, not-for-profit||INR 16,27,470||INR 12,80,834||INR 8,11,833|
|Private, for profit||INR 23,04,315||INR 11,49,647||INR 4,86,491|
Source: US Department of Education
What are the living expenditures for studying in the United States?
The following are the annual living expenses:
- Books and study materials start at INR 68,445 and go up from there.
- Accommodation starts at INR 3,80,250.
- Room, if living off-campus: around INR 38,025 per month.
- Food is variable.
- Travel within the United States: up to INR 53,235.
- Clothing for the weather: Variable.
- Expenses for entertainment are variable.
The prices you will incur will be determined by a variety of criteria, including whether you find on-campus boarding, the location of the university, and the US state in which you will be studying.
Is there any study abroad scholarships available in the United States?
While studying in the United States may appear to be expensive, many US colleges provide scholarships and financial help to overseas students. Among the finest US scholarships for Indians are the following:
- Microsoft Tuition Scholarship,
- Fulbright-Nehru Fellowships,
- C. Mahindra Scholarship for Post-Graduate Studies Abroad,
- Golden Key Graduate Scholar Award,
- Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship 2022,
- Western Union Foundation – Global Scholarship Program
- #youarewelcomehere scholarships, and
- AAUW: American Association of University Women.
Can I acquire a student loan to study in the United States?
Yes. You can receive school loans to pay for your study abroad in the United States. There are also loans offered with no collateral or security. Students from India who apply can claim a tax advantage under Section 80E of the Income Tax Act, which allows for tax deductions on educational loans.
Other Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which country has the highest concentration of overseas students?
The United States has the most international students.
How many Indian students study in the United States?
In 2020/2021, there were 167,582 International students from India in the United States, according to Statista, a prominent source of market and consumer statistics.
Why study in the United States?
The top three motivations for studying abroad in the United States are as follows:
Academic excellence: The United States is known with high academic standards and cutting-edge technologies. In the QS World University Rankings 2022, nine US colleges are ranked among the Top 20 worldwide universities in 2022.
Curriculum differentiation: The school system in the United States is adaptable.
An overseas student: might choose from a wide range of academic options. Workshops and orientation programmes for overseas students are offered on a regular basis.
What will be the top colleges in the United States in 2022?
According to the QS World University Rankings, the top 20 US institutions in 2022 are as follows:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Stanford University
- Harvard University
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
- University of Chicago
- University of Pennsylvania
- Yale University
- Columbia University
- Princeton University
- Cornell University
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- Johns Hopkins University
- Northwestern University
- The University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
- The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- New York University (NYU)
- The University of California, San Diego (UCSD)
- Duke University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Brown University
Is it worthwhile for Indian students to study in the United States?
Yes. For Indian students, studying in the United States is unquestionably worthwhile. The United States continues to be the most popular study abroad destination for MBA and STEM students.
How much bank balance is required for a US student visa?
It depends on the degree you are applying for and the US university you will be attending. Your Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, will clearly state the financial requirements.
What is the minimum age to apply for a student visa in the United States?
There is no higher age limit for studying in the United States. Before you may apply for a US student visa, you must be accepted as an international student by a US university.
What exactly is SEVIS?
SEVIS is an acronym that stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). To be eligible to apply for a US student visa, you must first be accepted into a SEVP-approved US institution. America’s Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is abbreviated as SEVP.
I wish to study in the United States. Which visa should I apply for?
The ‘F’ category US visa allows international academic students to study in a university or college in the United States. Instead, a ‘M’ visa will be required for vocational education.
How can I apply for a student visa in the United States?
STEP 1: Enroll in a SEVP-approved school and pay SEVIS I-90 costs.
STEP 2: Completion of Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. Your US university will provide you with this information.
STEP 3: Fill out Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application form, to apply for a study visa in the United States.
STEP 4: Provide your biometric information at the Visa Application Center (VAC).
STEP 5: Attend the student visa interview in the United States.
What are the top five benefits of studying abroad?
You may boost your future global employability quotient while also being exposed to top-tier education. The top five motivations for studying abroad are as follows:
- The experience: Studying abroad might introduce you to a whole different approach to education. Your mind changes and adapts to a new instructional environment as you learn differently.
- Understanding of different cultures: As an international student, you will come into touch with many other students from various cultures, nations, and backgrounds.
- Thinking globally: Studying abroad gives you a global perspective.
- Increase the weight of your CV: In general, international companies prefer applicants who have lived abroad, and demonstrate the versatility and the ability to cope with individuals from other cultures.
- Route to permanent residency: Many nations allow you to return to the country after completing your studies for a set period of time. You can work or search for a job during your stay. You may be qualified for multiple immigration streams based on your post-study employment experience.
How can I find out how much it will cost me to study in the United States?
Each university in the United States is obliged to include a fee and financial aid calculator on its website. Navigate to the College Affordability and Transparency Center of the United States Department of Education.
How much does a Bachelor’s degree cost in the United States?
Undergraduate education in the United States typically costs between INR 15,21,000 and INR 30,42,000 per year.
What is the cost of a Master of Science (MS) degree in the United States?
A Master of Science (MS) degree at a US university would cost you between INR 17,00,000 and INR 34,22,250 a year.