An L2 visa is a non-immigrant temporary visa that allows you to enter the United States with your spouse or family member. Dependents of the primary applicant can enter and stay in the country with this visa.
Continue reading to learn more about the USA L2 Visa.
What exactly is an L2 Visa?
L2 visas, also known as L1 dependent visas, are granted to L1 visa holders’ spouses and dependents.
Who is it intended for?
- The spouse and children of the L1 visa holder are eligible family members.
- The dependent children must be under the age of 21.
What are you going to do with it?
- Temporarily reside legally in the United States.
- Attend school or study full-time in the United States.
- Once approved for an EAD, you can work part-time or full-time.
- Change to another non-immigrant status, such as F-1, B-1/B-2, H-1, or L1.
- Capability to travel in and out of the United States for short international trips.
What are the L2 Visa Eligibility Requirements?
In order to apply for an L2 visa, spouses and children must meet the following requirements under immigration law:
- The visa holder must be the dependent spouse of an L1 visa holder.
- The visa is granted to unmarried children and dependents who are under the age of 21.
- Parents are not eligible to apply for this visa.
- L1 visa holders who intend to bring their parents to the country must assist them in obtaining a US visitor visa.
What Documents Are Required for an L2 Visa?
The checklist of required documents is provided below:
- After completing the required eligibility requirements on the DS-160 online, a confirmation page will be displayed. Take a printout of the CEAC barcode.
- Document containing the filing fee for a US visa application.
- 2 photographs from the interview appointment letter.
- A demand draught must be submitted for the visa issuance fee.
- If the applicant is under the age of 14, the dependent child’s original birth certificate must be submitted.
- Original marriage licence.
- Wedding album in its entirety.
- a duplicate of the wedding invitation card.
- Passport, valid pages, and validity.
- A letter stating the reason for the visit to the L1 visa holder’s employment verification letter.
- Income tax return for L1 visa holders.
- A demand draught for the visa issuance fee is required.
How Do I Apply for an L2 Visa?
The following steps must be taken in order to apply for the L2 status visa:
Step 1: Complete the DS-160 Online Application
The candidate must submit the DS-160 Form along with recent passport-size photographs to apply for the visa.
Print the confirmation of the DS-160 Form. Examine the DEAC barcode. This barcode will be required during your interview.
Step 2: Pay the Application Fee
You must submit your DS-160 along with an application fee. The basic application fee is $160, and additional fees may apply depending on your country of origin.
Step 3: Make Appointments for Visa Interviews and Biometrics
You must schedule two visa appointments: one for biometrics and one for the interview. A date for your visa interview at the embassy or consulate will be assigned to you.
Step 4: Upload your Documents
- Passport must be valid.
- Passport-size photograph.
- Original marriage licence.
- Photographs from a wedding.
- Children’s birth certificates.
- The L-1 primary visa holder’s written approval (parent or spouse)
- Certificates of academic achievement.
- I-797 form Visa application fee for L-1 visa holders.
- Fee for issuing visas.
Documentation for the spouse:
- Employment verification letter from your spouse (L-1 holder) Copies of your L-1 spouse’s I-194 (if already in the U.S.)
- a copy of the USCIS petition approval notice for your L-1 spouse
- Several copies of the L-1 spouse’s pay stubs (if already working in the U.S.)
- a copy of the L-1 spouse’s most recent tax returns (if any)
Step 5: Attend the Biometrics Appointment.
You will need to go to the Visa Application Center for a biometrics appointment. This appointment entails the collection of your fingerprints, photographs, and any other information required by immigration officials.
Step 6: Attend the L-2 Visa Interview
To determine your eligibility, you will be asked some general and personal questions to ensure that all of the claims made in your application are genuine. As long as you meet all of the requirements, you should be granted a visa.
The cost of an L2 visa
The L2 visa application fee is $190 USD per applicant.
What is the L2 Visa processing time?
The processing time for L2 visas typically ranges from 15 days to one month. However, it is primarily determined by the Embassy’s workload and other factors.
Other Important Frequently Asked Questions
How long is an L2 visa valid?
For L-1 visa holders, the initial period of stay is three years, with the option to extend the stay until the total validity is reached. If your spouse or parent has an L-1A work visa, you will be able to stay in the United States on an L-2 visa for a total of seven years. The maximum period for L1B visa dependents is five years.
How will the L2 visa assist you in working in the country?
This is commonly referred to as the L2 work permit and allows the applicant to work in the United States. The L2 visa holder is permitted to work in the United States with an approved L2 EAD. The following steps must be taken by the L2 visa holder in order to obtain a work permit:
- It is necessary to apply for an EAD card.
- Should apply for a Social Security Number.
- Eligible to work in the United States on a part-time or full-time basis.
The EAD card is generally valid for 2 years. It can be renewed indefinitely as long as the applicant maintains the same L2 visa status. The applicant is eligible to file Form I-539, an EAD application, an application for visa extension, or an application to change nonimmigrant status all at the same time. Furthermore, dependent children on L2 visa status are ineligible to apply for EAD status.
Is it possible to change the valid status of an L2 visa?
The L2 visa is a type of dependent visa. Though switching from one visa to another is a challenge in the United States, it is not impossible.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements for a l1a visa, you can apply for this visa type separately. You can also apply for the H1B visa if you have a qualified employer who will sponsor you.
- If the spouse or parent intends to change their current visa status, such as to H1B, the dependents can apply for the H4 dependents visa.
- It may also be possible to renew the L2 visa when the L1 visa holder renews under US conditions. Furthermore, this legal status can only be renewed in the United States of America.
Is it possible for an L2 visa holder to obtain a Green Card?
Yes, it is possible. Because this visa is linked to the L1 visa holder, if the L visa holder applied for a Green Card, the dependents are also eligible to apply.
- L1 visas are dual purpose visas. There is no need to submit proof of your intention to return home or to demonstrate strong ties to your home country.
- As a result, if the L1 visa holder applies for employment with the green card, the dependents may accompany him or her by submitting the necessary documentation.
What exactly is an E2 visa?
A non-immigrant visa is an E2. It does not provide an easy way for a visa holder to obtain a green card. An e2 visa, on the other hand, allows the applicant to apply for a green card separately.
What exactly is a TN Visa?
The TN visa issued by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is a non-immigrant visa. Canadian and Mexican citizens can use this TN visa to work in the United States for a qualifying organisation. Work may include organising business activities for Americans or foreign nationals.
The L2 visa provides the following benefits to the spouse and children:
- The right to reside in the country.
- Dependent children can attend schools in the United States.
- After obtaining the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the USCIS, the spouse is eligible to work full-time or part-time.
- Other non-immigrant visas such as H1, F1, B1, B2, and L1 visas are also available.
- Applicants for immigrant visas.
- Short and return trips within and outside the country are possible.
Do you intend to apply for a US L2 spouse visa?
How can Prominent assist you?
With a high success rate, prominent Overseas Careers is the best visa consultant in India. We served over 20,000 customers and had over 3000 active cases.
What do we have to offer?
- Visit Visa: Travel to any part of the world for leisure or business with Prominent.
- Study Visa: Attend Internationally Recognized Universities!
- Work Visa: Live and work in the World’s Best Cities!
- Immigration: We are your one-stop shop for all of your visa and immigration requirements.
- Permanent Residency: If you become a Permanent Resident, you will receive special benefits.
- Profile Marketing: We are well-known for developing best-in-class portfolios that boost your profile on job boards. And, yes, this is a free service!
- Test Preparation: We have a specialised team of experts who offer free online IELTS, French, and other language test preparation.
- Resume Writing: Our resume specialists create the best resumes to meet the requirements of immigration authorities and potential employers. This significantly increases your chances of success.
- Documents & Review: Error-free visa documentation, including document collection, verification, application submission, and post-landing assistance.
- Visa Filing: Prominent ensures that your visa application satisfies all of the standard requirements set forth by the immigration authorities of the country to which you are applying.
- Interview Training: Whether it’s a job interview or a visa interview, we have experts who can help you succeed.
- Dedicated Case Officer: Your case officer will assist you throughout the visa application process. If you are dissatisfied with the officer, you can request a change.
- Post-Landing Services: Our customised accommodation-support team will assist you in making the transition to the country where you want to work and settle.
With us, you can expect a one-stop shop for all of your visa requirements.