Every year, thousands of travelers come to the United Kingdom for vacations, business trips, and to see their family. If you want to know how to acquire a UK visa, the normal method includes certain documents as well as meeting certain eligibility conditions.
This page covers all you need to know about the UK Visit Visa criteria and application procedure.
What exactly is a UK Visitor Visa?
The UK Visitor Visa, commonly known as the Standard Visitor Visa, is a short-term visa that the bearer applies for. The visa holder may stay in the UK for up to six months.
Your visit might be for one of the following reasons
- to promote tourism
- for commercial purposes
- for investigation
- for intensive study classes (up to 6 months)
- for private medical care, and so forth
Foreign people who do not have a job or a place to live in the country are granted a visit visa.
What are the Main Requirements for a Visit Visa to the United Kingdom?
- General prerequisites for obtaining a visit visa to the United Kingdom
You must demonstrate this.
- you intend to leave the United Kingdom following your visit
- You will not regularly extend your visa unless absolutely necessary, make numerous visits to the UK, or attempt to make the UK your primary residence.
- You have strong familial and economic ties to your homeland.
- you can support yourself and your dependents financially during your travel to the UK, or you have someone who will financially support your visit
- You will pay for your tickets, both arriving and outgoing, or you will have someone else pay for them.
- you have confirmation of the business, medical, or study that you came to the UK legitimately to pursue
2. If your intention is to stay in the UK for up to 6 months,
You must meet at least one of the following requirements:
Your course duration is well within 6 months, as given by an approved UK institution (not an academy or state-funded school), and you have been accepted to study there.
- You are over the age of 16 and have been accepted by a UK higher education institution. The research you conduct in the UK must be related to your international education.
- You are over the age of 16 and are pursuing a ‘elective’ programme in international medicine, veterinary medicine and science, or dentistry.
- You must already be enrolled in a study that is equivalent to a UK degree in order to perform a placement or research activity in the UK.
For research, you may require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) accreditation. This credential is required to apply for research or study in the UK.
Image Source (Google)
3. If you wish to visit a family member who lives in the United Kingdom
If you have a spouse or family member who is a British citizen or has settled in the UK, you can apply for a family visa to visit them.
They may need to demonstrate that they can financially support you throughout your travel to the UK.
4. If you wish to work, start, or invest in a business in the United Kingdom
You can work in the UK for a short or lengthy period of time depending on your work visa type. To obtain a work visa, you must satisfy the following criteria:
- Relevant experience and education
- You have a job offer or an employer who will sponsor you.
- Clearly mention the objective of your visit as well as the length of your stay.
- Mention whether any family members are with you.
To establish a new business in the UK, you must first apply for a start-up visa or an innovator visa. If you wish to invest in a business in the United Kingdom, you can do so with an investor visa.
5. If you are a scholar visiting the UK for up to 12 months,
You must demonstrate that you are:
- highly qualified specialist in the field engaged for research in your subject by an abroad university visiting the UK for research or a formal exchange but not filling a permanent teaching position
- highly qualified specialist in the field engaged for research in your subject by an abroad university visiting the UK for research or a formal exchange but not filling a permanent teaching position If you are here for private medical care,
You must demonstrate that you:
- have a medical problem that requires treatment in the United Kingdom
- have adequate cash for your treatment verify any appointments or consultations with a physical address real duration of your treatment will depart the UK after your treatment is done or your visa expires are not a public health risk if you have an infectious disease
Note: If you have a family member accompanying you to the UK for treatment, they must apply for a visiting visa and must follow all usual visitor regulations and criteria.
7. If you are a Paid Permitted Engagement Visitor,
You must demonstrate this.
- After one month, you plan to return to your home country as an expert in your field. You might demonstrate any publications or successes for the same, as well as a statement from your company validating your work and area of expertise.
- The money you earn for this short-term job does not count against your primary or part-time wage.
- You are a visiting academic examiner, assessor, lecturer, trained lawyer, arts and entertainment professional, or sports professional.
If you want to learn more about what the Home Office staff looks for in a foreign visiting visa applicant, read this official document, or speak with a visa specialist at Prominent.
Image Source (Google)
How do you apply for a Visitor Visa to the United Kingdom?
Step 1: Determine whether you require a guest visa.
Depending on your nationality, you may be excluded from the UK visa requirement. All EEA and Commonwealth nationals do not require a visa to enter the UK.
Only if you are a citizen of one of the following countries will you be required to apply for a UK visa. Indians, on the other hand, must apply for a visitor visa to the United Kingdom.
Step 2: Select the appropriate visa type.
You can pick from the following sorts of UK visitor visas depending on the purpose of your trip and how long you want to stay in the UK:
Standard Visitor Visa: This is a UK Tourist Visa that allows you to visit the UK for medical treatment, tourism, business meetings, short-term study courses or research, or to visit relatives.
- UK Transit Visa: for people who must transit through the UK on their way to another nation.
- UK Study Visa: for anybody wishing to come to the UK to study at a university or college. A Standard Visitor visa allows you to stay in the UK for up to 6 months to pursue a short-term study programme.
- UK Marriage Visitor Visa: for people who come to the UK to marry but do not plan to stay.
- a British parent Tier 4 Kid visa: for parents or guardians visiting a child under the age of 12 studying in an independent school in the UK.
- Permitted Paid Engagement visa: You can stay in the UK for up to one month to attend an event or perform a paid engagement if you have been invited by a UK-based organisation or customer who sees you as an expert in your field.
Step 3: Finish the online application form.
Typically, the UK visa online application form includes inquiries about personal information such as:
- Your whole name
- Relationship status
- Personal identification number
- Number on a passport
- Statement of Visit Purpose
Step 4: Gather all necessary paperwork.
The document checklist for the UK Visitor Visa application is as follows:
- UK visa application form
- Two colour passport sized photographs
- Your Valid Passport
- Proof of funds during the visit
- Proof of accommodation
- Detailed travel itinerary
- Tuberculosis Test Results
- Biometric information
- Fees Receipt of application payment
Image Source (Google)
Step 5: Pay the money and schedule a visa appointment online.
Your online charge would be around 9,500 INR. Then, on the official UK Embassy Website, you may arrange an online UK tourist visa appointment.
Step 6: Attend the visa interview in the United Kingdom.
Every applicant, including children, who submits a visa application must appear in person at the visa application facility.
Typical visa interview questions include:
- What is the aim of your trip, and how long will you be there?
- Do you have any contacts in the United Kingdom? Will you continue to work with them?
- What are your plans for your time in the UK?
- In India, where do you live?
- Have you been to the United Kingdom before?
- What do you do for a livelihood in India, and can you disclose your work history?
- Do you pay taxes? Could you please submit the necessary documentation?
- Do you intend to work or do business in the United Kingdom?
- Will you be taking your family with you?
- Why did you choose this university to study at in the United Kingdom? (Intended for students)
A slight error in the paperwork procedure, such as wrongly filling out the application or making an erroneous statement in your visa appointment, might result in visa refusal and a delayed visit to the UK.
Using a reputable visa consultant with years of expertise aiding applicants with their UK travel visa application may save you a significant amount of time and money. Meet our UK immigration specialists in Prominent and let them to assist you with your visa application.
Document translations into English
When you provide certified English translations of documents that are not in English or Welsh, the translations must include the following:
- The translator’s confirmation that it is an exact translation of the original
- The translation’s date The translator’s complete name and signature
- Contact information for the translator
- Evidence of return to home country
You must demonstrate that you intend to return to your native country and do not want to settle in the UK. This might be accomplished by documentation of employment or education in the home country, or even family members who rely on the visa application for survival.
Proof of enough cash for the trip
You must demonstrate that you have adequate means to afford a UK trip, including your lodging, travel, and meals, regardless of who is playing for the trip.
Evidence of a real relationship
If you visit another person in the UK, that person must show confirmation to the authorities that you will return to your home country at the end of your visit.
What is the format of a UK Tourist Visa Application?
The UK Visit Visa application form looks like this:
Image Source (Google)
Complete list for the UK Visitor Visa Documents
- UK Tourist Visa application form VAF1A.
- two coloured passport-sized photographs
- a valid passport
- proof of financial stability (proof of investments, bank statements, ITR, and so on)
- accommodation details of your stay in the UK
- Travel Itinerary (optional)
- documents specific to the purpose of your visit to the UK
- biometrics and visa payment receipt
- letter of Invitation from the host country
- a recognized certificate of the English Language
- details of where you’ll be staying during your visit
- Tuberculosis test results
- confirmed return air tickets
- salary slips for the last 6 months and leave letter from employer, if you are employed
- original NOC letter from school/college with ID card copy and NOC letter from parents, if you are a student
- Certificate of registration of the company/Certificate of Incorporation (MOA/Proof of Proprietorship/Partnership, etc), and supporting documents, if you are self employed
Other documents to keep in handy include:
- documents related to your previous travel history over the last ten years
- your employer’s address and contact information
- details of your spouse of accompanying dependents
- the name and address of the person funding your trip
- contact information and resident address of your family members in the UK
- proof of awards, recognitions, certificates in your field of study or work
Gathering your documents becomes a cake-walk when you get expert assistance from our visa processing team at Prominent
After you have applied for a visitor visa online and have provided all the details correctly, you can expect to receive a decision on your application within 3 weeks.
UK Standard Visa Fees
A Standard Visitor Visa costs 95 Pounds (INR 9,450). If you are registering for a Long-term Visitor Visa, the visa fee depends on its length.
Here’s a cost breakdown for you based on the duration of your stay:
|2 years||361 Pounds|
|5 years||655 Pounds|
|10 years||822 Pounds|
What are some typical causes for visa denial?
- One or more of the following factors might be the determining factor in visa application rejections:
- incorrect information on your visa application form criminal history
- if your native country’s relationship with the UK is strained
- If you are medically unfit to travel or have an infectious condition, if your intention to leave the country after your stay is unclear, or if you do not match the eligibility requirements for your visa type, you will be denied entry.
- documentation that is incomplete or erroneous
- insufficient funds to support you or those accompanying you credibility and intentions to visit the UK or extend your stay as a visitor previous travel history, including visits to the UK and other countries if your sponsor or relative in the UK has a criminal history or similar lack of credibility in sponsor’s history of’sponsoring’ visitors or relationship between the two does not appear genuine
Can you prolong your stay or change your visa type?
A Standard Visitor visa cannot be changed to another visa. You can, however, extend your stay in the UK using the visa if you are travelling for medical or educational purposes. You must satisfy specified standards to demonstrate the legitimacy of your visa renewal.
If you need to visit the UK regularly, you may apply for a Long-Term Visitor Visa with a validity period of two, five, or ten years.
What cannot you do with a Standard Visitor Visa?
You cannot enter the UK with a Standard Visitor Visa.
- employment for a UK corporation, either paid or unpaid, or for a self-employed individual residing in the UK
- spend more time in the UK than in your native country by making frequent visits or staying in the UK for an extended period of time, and so on claim public funds (benefits)
- After completing a course for more than six months, you may marry, register, or provide notice for a civil partnership of marriage. Instead, you might apply for a Marriage Visitor visa.
Other Important Frequently Asked Questions
How long can a guest remain in the UK?
The maximum length of stay for any visit is six months.
What visas have taken the place of the Standard Visitor Visa?
The Standard Visitor Visa has been superseded by the following visas:
- General Visitor Visa
- Family Visitor Visa
- Child Visitor Visa
- Entertainer Visitor Visa
- Sports Visitor Visa
- Business Visitor Visa (this includes academics, doctors, and dentists)
- Approved Destination Visitor Visa (ADS)
- Private Medical Treatment Visa
- Prospective Entrepreneur Visa (Work Visa)
Before applying for a UK Visitor Visa, keep the following four points in mind:
- Plan your visit ahead of time.
This includes everything from determining the appropriate visa type based on your purpose of travel to estimating the number of months you will need to stay in the UK, the funds you will need for travel and living expenses in the UK, and any additional funds you will need to demonstrate financial stability or unexpected costs during your visit.
- Collect all of your documentation.
No matter how sincere your intentions, if you are unable to provide proof to back up the assertions you make in your visa application or at the visa interview, you may be denied. As a result, it is recommended that you examine and double-check all of your papers before commencing the visa application process.
- Keep an eye out for immigration reforms.
The current COVID-19 epidemic has resulted in a number of adjustments, the majority of which have been implemented as preventative measures to halt the virus’s spread. Not only that, but the UK has made a number of modifications to its immigration policies in recent months.
What was the visa process when you last visited the UK may no longer be applicable. So make sure you’re not up for any last-minute surprises and be informed.
Speak with a visa specialist and make sure you trust them.
A visa expert can assist you greatly with current immigration trends, documents, and navigating the visa procedure. They can ensure that your application is error-free because they have years of expertise in the sector. But, before you hire a consultant, make sure you understand how to pick the finest visa consultant appropriately.
Allow Prominent Overseas Career to expedite your UK tourist visa application. Speak with one of our immigration specialists immediately and have all of your questions answered for free. After we understand your needs, we can advise you on the ideal visa for your journey to the UK.
Don’t put it off any longer. Allow us to make your journey to the United Kingdom enjoyable and relatively uncomplicated.