Canada and the United States are regarded as desirable destinations for migrants. Although both are well-known for their job prospects, economic growth, and higher quality of life, you won’t know for certain unless you experience it for yourself.
With the information provided here, we can assist you in making an informed decision.
When comparing, please remember the long-term consequences of aspects such as cost, quality of life, professional advancement, and how to maximise the country’s benefits.
So, will we investigate?
- Job security and working hours
Employment in Canada
Because of the COVID-19 Pandemic, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has stayed focused on maintaining the employment security of Canadians and immigrants in Canada.
The unemployment rate in Canada has been steadily declining as a result of the country’s economic recovery policies. In 2019, Canada’s unemployment rate was 5.67 percent.
However, the US had a 10.2 percent unemployment rate in 2020.
Here are some of the jobs that will be in high demand in Canada in 2022:
|Job Profile||Annual Salary|
|Medical Workers||At least $76,362|
|Restaurant Servers||$24,668 – $30,377|
|Supply Truck Drivers||$45,825 – $77,903|
Average work hours: The typical work hours for an employee in Canada’s federally regulated sector are 8 hours per day (during any 24-hour period), for a total of 40 hours per week.
Companies in Canada provide a minimum of ten paid days off every year.
Working in the United States
The United States is the world’s silicon capital, with the most industries headquartered there.
However, 2022 provoked a schism in US markets.
According to a Marketplace research, one-third of the whole population was concerned about their job security, which included job loss or wage drop.
Some jobs, however, were recession-proof even throughout the epidemic. They are as follows:
|Job Profile||Annual Salary|
|Domestic Health Workers||$24,200|
Average work hours: According to Bureau of Labor Statistics statistics, employed Americans in the United States worked 34.4 hours per week in 2019.
All employees in the United States are entitled to a minimum of ten paid yearly leaves.
- While the United States has higher pay, Canada has better healthcare, more maternity leaves, and other social advantages.
- The average number of hours worked in Canada is somewhat greater than in the United States.
- Both nations have a similar yearly leave arrangement.
Imposition of taxes
Income Tax in Canada
If the minimum wage is $46,605, a Canadian employee, regardless of nationality, must pay a federal tax of 15% of their entire income.
However, if an employee makes more than $46,605, the amount of income tax that must be paid increases.
A Canadian employee must pay a provincial tax in addition to the federal tax.
Here’s a breakdown of your tax obligations:
|British Columbia||5.06- 16.8%|
|New Brunswick||9.68%- 20.3%|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||8.7%- 18.3 %|
|Northwest Territories||5.9%- 14.05%|
|Nova Scotia||8.79%- 21%|
|Prince Edward Island||9.8%- 16.7 %|
|Saskatchewan||10.5%- 14.5 %|
Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Canada has a highly equitable system of GST reductions. Healthcare provisions like as medications, dental treatments, and so on are referred to as ‘Zero-Rated’ items since they are excluded from GST. However, the federal taxation structure varies by province, with a minimum of 5% taxes.
Taxation in the United States
In the United States, income tax is paid in two parts: federal and state.
An average software engineer in the United States pays a yearly income tax of 25% – 30%, which includes both federal and state taxes.
Did you know that Washington employees are free from paying state taxes? Here are some of the states, along with their state income taxes:
|California||1% to 13.3%|
|Minnesota||5.35% to 9.85%|
|New York||4% to 8.82%|
|Kansas||3.10% to 5.7%|
|Iowa||0.33% to 8.53%|
|Virginia||2% to 5.75%|
|Georgia||1% to 5.75%|
|Arizona||2.59% to 4.54%|
The sales tax
Every state imposes a sales tax on transactions made in the United States.
It is a state tax that differs per state. In New York State, for example, the sales tax is 7%.
The United States and Canada both have a Federal and a State/Provincial tax. However, several states in the United States, such as Washington, exclude residents from paying state income taxes.
3. Education Education in Canada
University tuition in Canada is around 27% less expensive than in the United States.
Top Canadian universities include McGill University, the University of Toronto, the Université de Montréal, Queen’s University, and others.
|QS World University Rankings 2021 – Top 5 Universities in Canada|
|Canada Rank||Global Rank||University|
|1||25||University of Toronto|
|3||45||University of British Columbia|
|4||118||Université de Montréal|
|5||119||University of Alberta|
The Canadian immigration system provides children (up to the age of 16 or 18) with free public school education. Private schools in Canada, on the other hand, charge between CAD 8,000 and CAD 14,000 each year.
Studying in the United States
Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Harvard University, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, and Yale University are among the eight Ivy League schools in the United States.
QS World University Rankings: USA – Top 5 Universities in the US
|1||Harvard University||Cambridge, MA|
|2||Stanford University||Stanford, CA|
|3||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||Cambridge, MA|
|4||The University of California, Berkeley (UCB)||Berkeley, CA|
|5||Columbia University||New York, NY|
It should be noted that the United States permits eligible F-1 students to choose Optional Practical Training. This is a permission that allows students to get real-world job experience in their subject of study.
Tuition fees in the United States are greater than in Canada due to the comprehensive educational system.
Here is a list of the top universities in the United States, along with their average yearly tuition fees:
|University||Average Tuition Fees (USD)|
|California Institute of Technology||$54,600|
|University of Washington||$38,796|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||$53,790|
|University of California–Berkeley||$43,176|
All youngsters in the United States have access to free public schools. Private elementary school tuition is $10,000 per year, while private high school tuition is $15,000 per year.
- The US has more world-class universities than Canada.
- However, tuition fees in Canada are cheaper on average than in the United States.
4. Immigration Routes to Canada and the United States
Image Source (Google)
You can apply for the following categories of Canadian visas:
- PR Visa (Permanent Residence)
- Visa for Express Entry
- Visa for Federal Skilled Workers
- Programs for Provincial Nominees
- Visitor Visa with Family Sponsorship
- Visa for Students
- Visa for Business Immigrants
US Immigration Routes
Here are the various immigrant visas you may apply for if you want to immigrate to the United States:
- Student Visas F1, J1, and M1: For students pursuing higher education.
- E1, E2 Visa: Employee migration visa
- Spouse of a US Citizen: IR1 and CR1 visas
- K1 visa: Financial assistance for marrying a US citizen
- Petition No. I-130 (K-3) Visa: Approval is pending for the spouse of a US citizen.
5. Cost of Living: USA Vs Canada
|Cost Parameters||Canada (Cost in CAD)||The US (Cost in USD)||Average Difference|
|Rent (Monthly)||$ 839.64||$ 833.32||29.61% higher in the US|
|Public Transportation(Monthly)||$ 139.73||$ 107.85||Almost the same 0.01 % higher in the US|
|Healthcare||Free public healthcare||Subsidized public healthcare||Higher in the US.|
|Groceries (Monthly)||$ 114.95||$ 91.07||1.4 % higher in the US|
|Apparel and Accessories||Varies between $ 64.22- $ 126.69||Varies between $ 44.04 to $ 96.17||10.8 % higher in Canada|
|Restaurant||$ 17 (Meal for 1)||$15 (Meal for 1)||9.94 % higher in the US.|
|Luxury and Leisure||Besides the other leisure activities that are on the expensive side, you can buy a movie ticket here for only $ 10.76.||Here the luxury activities cost slightly less than in Canada. A monthly gym membership costs around $ 37.||This is a specific category. Hence, an exact difference cannot be provided.|
- While the average yearly income in both nations is comparable, the cost of living in Canada is greater.
- In Canada, you’ll spend less for health insurance and rent, but you’ll pay more for utilities, petrol, and consumer items.
- Costs can differ based on where you reside.
- Language Barriers Faced by Indian Migrants
|Language Barriers in Canada||Language Barriers in the US|
|The dominant languages are English and French.||The dominant language in the States is English.|
|Provinces like Quebec are dominated by french-speaking citizens.||But globalization has made the US a hub for every community.|
|Indians may face challenges in communicating with the locals.||Indians generally tend to adapt easily to their countrymen.|
Because the Indian Education system takes a unique approach to teaching, Indian students in the United States and Canada are often taken aback by the curriculum at first.
In-depth study drives the Canadian and American education systems. This may entail practical field experience with a restricted time span. As a result, Indian students need time to adjust to different learning methods.
Both Canada and the United States have severe anti-racism regulations in effect.
However, due to the recent increase in crime driven by racism in the United States, Canada is a more welcoming country for immigrants to live in.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau joined in an anti-racism protest in Ottawa in June 2021 to show sympathy with victims of prejudice.
Did you know that Kamala Harris, the Vice President-elect of the United States, is of Indian and Jamaican descent?
The key takeaway is that both nations provide unique hurdles to Indian migrants. However, the number of Native Americans in both nations has increased dramatically in the recent decade.
7. Immigration Updates for Canada and the United States
Updates on Canadian Immigration in 2022
- Canada will issue 431,645 permanent residence visas in 2022.
- Economic immigration will bring 241,850 newcomers to Canada in 2022, creating 337,000 new employment in the Canadian labour market in February 2022. Another 73,000 jobs will be created in March 2022.
Updates on US Immigration in 2022
- In 2021, 407,071 H-1B applications were accepted. 74.1 percent of these, or 301,616 in total, were awarded to Indian labourers.
- In the first quarter (Q1) of Fiscal Year (FY) 2022, 228,133 people were granted legal permanent resident (LPR) status.
- In 2022, India will be among the top five nations in terms of nationality for new permanent residents.
- Employment-based preferences accounted for 24% of new LPRs in 2022 (Q1).
|Permanent Residence via Express Entry Canada||U.S. Green Card via H-1B visa program|
|Popular visa choice is the Express Entry immigration system.||Popular visa choice is the US H1-B visa.|
|Fast-track visa process. You can get a PR in just 6 months.||Getting a Green Card can take many years.|
|Allows you to get a Permanent Resident Status in Canada.||You arrive with a temporary work visa and later extend the visa or convert to Green Card status.|
|No Canadian job offer is required.||You must have a job offer in hand.|
|No sponsorship from family or employers is required.||You need employer sponsorship and work experience to get a PR status|
|You can bring your family to Canada to live and work there.||Dependants of H1B visa holders may not be allowed to work in the US|
|You can apply from outside of Canada.||You can’t apply on your own. Your employer will apply for your H1B visa.|
|You can get citizenship after 3 years of employment.||Getting citizenship is quite difficult.|
|Increase in immigrant intake to 4 Million for 2022||Higher refusal rate of H1B by the US government in the past years.|
Canada is one of the world’s top ten most desirable countries.
- United States
- The United Kingdom
Canada’s Best Cities to Live
According to a recent poll, Canada is the World’s Most Desirable Country to Live in.
According to the Global Liveability Index 2019, Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto are among the top ten most liveable cities in the world.
British Columbia, Vancouver
Calgary is a skyscraper city. It has the most youth-driven policies in the Alberta area and promote societal well-being in all aspects.
Toronto is the hub of Ontario, famous for its CN Tower and affluent metropolitan life. It is home to IT-hubs, prestigious colleges, and a diversified community of Indo-Canadians.
Image Source (Google)
Best places to live in the United States
Boulder refers to the boulder foothills of the Rocky Mountains in the United States. Aside from the wonderful places to see and the natural beauty, Boulder is also where students with strong interests in geology come to study at the ‘University of Boulder.’
Denver serves as the state capital of Colorado. Denver, noted for its historical significance in the Old World Era, is also known as the ‘Outdoor City of the United States.’ The city is a thriving and culturally diverse centre for immigration. Denver is home to the University of Colorado, which specialises in MBA programmes.
Austin, home to the University of Texas, is the state’s live music capital. It offers good weather all year, and its flagship university is noted for producing innovative professionals. “What begins here transforms the world,” is their motto.
Other Broad Comparisons
- According to a research, the population density in the United States is 84 people per square mile of land area. According to the report, the population density of Canada is roughly 3 persons per square kilometre.
- According to the Global Economic Competitiveness assessment, Canada received 79.59 points out of a possible 100, while the United States received 83.7 points.
- Wage Inequality, Racial Discrimination, and Public Safety: The crime rate in the United States is significantly greater than in Canada. Nonetheless, the work market in the United States is more welcoming to new immigrants and offers greater wages. In the United States, racial prejudice and hatred are more prevalent. US Homeland Security makes every effort to guarantee the safety of the nation and its residents.
- On the Average Life Satisfaction Ranking scale, Canada scored 7.6, while the United States scored 7.
- Canada was placed in the top ten most peaceful countries, while the United States was ranked 121st worldwide.
Other Important Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take USCIS to complete a Green Card application in the United States?
The USCIS consulate currently employs an automated procedure. The processing of Form I-485 might take anywhere from 7 to 33 months.
The pilot programme for obtaining US citizenship is only applicable in the following circumstances:
- N-400 Naturalization Application
- I-485 I-90 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Change Status I-751 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card Petition to Lift Residency Restrictions.
Is Canada PR preferable to H1B?
Canadian PR is preferable for ensuring a safe and secure living. It also includes the opportunity of obtaining Canadian citizenship quickly, whereas the US H1B visa is ideal for exploring high-skilled employment prospects and ambitious professions.
Can I travel to Canada on an H1B visa?
You can go to Canada with a US H1B visa as long as your journey does not exceed 30 days.
Can I work in the United States with Canadian public relations?
You cannot work in the United States with Canadian PR unless you have an H1 visa.
How can I maintain my PR and H1B status in Canada?
You can have both US H1B visas and Canadian PR at the same time. To keep your PR, you must spend two years out of every five in Canada.
You can go to Canada with a US H1B visa if your trip does not exceed 30 days.
Image Source (Google)
Can I work with Canadian public relations in the United States?
You cannot work in the United States if you have Canadian permanent residency unless you obtain an H1 visa.
How can I keep my PR and H1B status in Canada?
You can have both US H1B visas and Canadian permanent residency at the same time. To preserve your PR, you must spend two of every five years in Canada.
How may Prominent assist you?
Prominent Overseas Careers specialises in Permanent Residency Visas, Work Visas, Study Visas, Temporary Visas, and Dependent Visas to Canada, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Germany, and Hong Kong.
In addition to these services, Prominent provides its clients with customised services such as:
- Profile Evaluation: Professional advice based on an in-depth study of the client profile to estimate the likelihood of visa approval.
- Documents & Review: Detailed, error-free documents created to fulfil certain forms dependent on the visa category.
- A dedicated Case Officer: A specialist who will help customers throughout the procedure.
- Visa Filing: Prominent guarantees that all standard standards of concerned immigration authorities and regulatory organisations are met.
- Visa & Interview: Aspirants who attend visa interviews with verified papers are given guidance.
- After receiving their visas, Prominent assists customers in settling down in their new nation with a comfortable stay.
Additional assistance provided to job searchers include:
- Resume Writing: We have a dedicated team of resume professionals that will write the finest resumes to suit the requirements of immigration authorities and potential employers. This considerably increases their chances of being chosen.
- Prominent is well-known for producing best-in-class portfolios that raise application profiles on job boards. And, sure, this is a free service!
Optional services For students in need of a study visa:
- Admission Counseling: Comparisons of the finest programmes, universities, and countries to study in, including planned mentorship from current students.
- Admission Essays, Student CV, Statement of purpose (SOP), Letter of recommendations (LOR), and other critical services are provided by a professional staff.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid: Assist in locating the finest Scholarship programmes, Education loans, Study abroad loans, and also assist in locating paid internships.
CHECK YOUR ELIGIBILITY FOR PR VISA